Sunday, May 22, 2011

Euphemisms: An Introduction

Euphemism: [yoo-fuh-miz-uhm] -noun 
1. the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be harsh, offensive, or blunt.
2. the expression so substituted: To "pass away" is a euphemism for "die"


Euphemisms: They are what propels the human interaction. They're not only a way to avoid conversations about sex, drugs and drinking. They're a way to paint with words. An opportunity to make things that aren't normally considered beautiful to be so. Let's look into the euphemism of the day: "pass away". To pass away is one of the most common and overused euphemisms in the English speaking world. Instead of someone simply dying, they're passing. Passing what exactly? Well technically, passing references the passing between our earth and that person's version of Christianity's heaven. But for me, "to pass" refers to the passage that occurs between that person and the next generation when they die. Passing their life's wishes, their legacy, their "baton" so to speak. That'll give you something to think about. 


As far as this blog goes, I will try to update as often as I can. I can't guarantee a continual stream, but I can say you will see a lot of me. As for structure, I will continue to talk about a euphemism a day. Tell me if there are any ways to improve and continue the discussions in the comments! Love you imaginary followers!!!! Tomorrow I'll put more comedy in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment